American Science & Engineering (NASDAQ: ASEI) (AS&E) wanted to reposition their security technology to detect threats and contraband such as explosives, weapons, illegal drugs, and stowaways in a variety of security applications for aviation, ports, borders, and critical infrastructure. When Red Javelin started working with AS&E in 2005, the company had been reactive to media inquiries and did not seek out media coverage. But with the success of its solutions growing in airports as well as war zones, and with the competition heating up, AS&E wanted to raise its visibility in the market both in the US and internationally and become the defacto leader in security and threat detection.
- Planned and executed the publicly-held company’s ongoing multi-pronged international media relations program for the past 10 years. Targets include broadcast, mainstream outlets, industry trades, as well as business publications.
- Created a proactive thought leadership program to insert AS&E into the conversations when there is breaking security news or hot issues.
- Ran a successful awards & speaking program, and kicked off contributed article program.
- Launched numerous new products and introduced AS&E to new market sectors (law enforcement with its Mini Z handheld detector).
- Provided strategic guidance around crisis communications efforts.
- Prepared executives for mainstream media interviews.
- Coordinated International PR campaigns in targeted countries such as EMEA, South America, the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
- Established AS&E as a leader in security detection market & defense/homeland security issues in the U.S. and abroad. AS&E executives are now asked routinely to comment on homeland security issues in the mainstream outlets including Fortune Magazine, National Geographic, NBC Nightly News, BusinessWeek, Discovery Channel, Boston Globe, MSNBC, AP, Fox News, and local TV.
- Inserted AS&E into the conversations around hot news issues such as the 2006 U.K.-based liquid explosives bombing attempt, the Christmas 2010 underwear bombing attempt, and ongoing privacy issues at airport security checkpoints. AS&E provided expert commentary to CNBC, CNN, Wall Street Journal, NPR, BusinessWeek, NBC Nightly News, USA Today, New York Times and more.
- Worked with government & other high visibility customers such as Super Bowl and Olympics security teams to secure national mainstream print and broadcast news coverage.
- Launched many new products including its SmartCheck for airport security and Mini Z for law enforcement, securing scores of coverage in top defense, homeland, security, government, aviation and law enforcement trade publications such as Defense One, Defense Daily, GSN, AviationWeek, HS Today, and Security Management. We even scored the Mini Z product in the TV hit series “Chicago P.D.”
- Secured numerous industry business and product awards for the company’s innovative security detection products. Highlights “Best of What’s New” by Popular Science, ASIS Accolades, GSN Homeland Security, Forbes Best Small Business in America list, HS Today’s Rising Elite.
- Prepared the company by creating and implementing internal and external communications plans around significant corporate events such as a new CEO.