Teledyne DALSA: Leveraging Subject Matter Experts in Manufacturing Industry
The Imaging Division at Teledyne DALSA develops industrial cameras and vision technology found in factories, laboratories, studios, hospitals and inspection stations all over the world–and even on other planets. The subject matter tends to be technical and it is a challenge for marketing to mine that information from the organization and make it consumable for the targeted audiences. Most of the subject matter experts (SMEs) are engineers with demanding jobs and writing articles or reviewing marketing materials is not essential to their success.
- Red Javelin collaborated with Teledyne DALSA’s marketing team to establish a process to mine information from the organization in an efficient manner.
- The team established annual editorial planning meetings, held annually in each of the company’s three primary locations, to gather topics that the SMEs would be excited about.
- Red Javelin and the Teledyne DALSA marketing team then create abstracts from the meeting output that map to target publication’s editorial calendars.
- Red Javelin pitches the abstracts to key publications to secure bylined article opportunities.
- With the help of tech writers, SMEs are interviewed to develop content in line with their area of research or interest.
- As a result of the process, Red Javelin consistently places 25-30 case studies and up to 20 bylined articles each year.
- The SMEs can point to their published articles as external acknowledgement of their work.
- This program has even generated a friendly competition between some of the SMEs and has spurred more voluntary participation.